"It is impossible for a lover of cats to banish these alert, gentle and discriminating little friends, who give us just enough of their regard and complaisance to make us hunger for more."
-Agnes Repplier, American essayist
NEWS & EVENTS, Updated 8/21/2017
- Yet another little bit of good news! On Shore Foundation is an organization based in Malibu, California. They have given us grants for the past four years. We are happy to announce that On Shore Foundation obviously feels Cats Unlimited is a worthy recipient of their funding, as we have just been blessed for the fifth year in a row. An additional $1,000 to aid the kitties of Rockbridge County!
- The 13th Annual Cats Unlimited "Catapalooza" Fundraising Yard Sale was held at the W & L Pavilion in Lexington on July 14 and 15, 2017. Suffice it to say, it was a huge success, and the first time we ever had to have traffic directed for one of our events! We are so fortunate to continue to have such wonderful donors. On display (and for sale) was everything from antiques to books to art; from jewelry to household items to vintage kitchen items; from yard/garden to "picker" to "guy stuff"; from lamps to linens to office to pet supplies. We virtually have a jewelry store, a boutique, a linen store; an art gallery, and an antique store all under one big metal roof. The money raised will fund our missions for the next several months.
We would like to thank everyone who helped make the sale such a success, from the volunteers to the shoppers; from those individuals who donated items to be sold to those who rang up the purchases and wrapped them; from the people who donated what was left over from their own yards to us to our workers who sorted, cleaned, priced, and packed those items.. Our sales have become extremely popular in the local area, especially since people know the sales are the primary source of funding for our low-cost spay/neuter program, as well as our rescue/adoption program. So thank you to everyone!
- But something else exciting happened last week, as well. On Tuesday,July 11, as we were getting the merchandise delivered to the pavilion from our storage location in Buena Vista, two very distinguished gentlemen approached the bay door and spoke briefly to one of our volunteers, who then called Karen and Cathy to the front. It was revealed the gentleman were officers with the Knights of Pythias. They brought with them a letter, which was read by one of the gentlemen. The letter stated that their organization, which had been in existence for over 100 years, was disbanding and, consequenttly, they were liquidating their assets. Several local non-profit organizations were to benefit from this action, and it had been decided that Cats Unlimited would share in the wealth, so to speak. The letter and accompanying check were presented to Cathy and Karen on behalf of Cats Unlimited. This was such an unexpected gift (not to mention a shock!), and such an honor to have been selected from among the many organizations throughout the county of Rockbridge and Cities of Buena Vista and Lexington. During conversation with them, we learned they had never heard of us until enlightened by one of our volunteers, and it appears they must have liked what they heard. This monetary gift was a real coup for Cats Unlimited and proof positive that our organization, and everything it stands for, is so highly regarded in our community.
Gentlemen, we wish you well. You cannot possibly imagine what this has meant to us and how much it will benefit us. Again, thank you.
- Cats Unlimited is pleased to announce that it is the recipient of a Petco Foundation grant that will be used to expand our low-cost spay/neuter program. This is very exciting for us since the Petco Foundation provides funds nation-wide, and since 1999 they’ve invested more than $167 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, they inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives.
- Cats Unlimited and the Rockbridge Animal Alliance (RAA) are collecting cat and dog food for needy families in Rockbridge County. Our goal is to help these families keep their pets and provide them proper nutrition. The food will be distributed at the Rockbridge Food Pantry on:
To be announced.
Our e-mail address is
Our phone is 540-458-2287. Please leave a message and one of our volunteers will call
Our mailing address is P.O. Box 484, Lexington, VA 24450