"It is impossible for a lover of cats to banish these alert, gentle and discriminating little friends, who give us just enough of their regard and complaisance to make us hunger for more."
-Agnes Repplier, American essayist
NEWS & EVENTS, Updated 10/23/2017
- The members of Cats Unlimited are seeking donations to sell at their 12th Annual "Meowwy Christmas" Holiday Bazaar, which will be held at the VFW Building on W. Midland Trail between Buena Vista and Lexington on Friday, December 8, 9 AM to 3 PM, and Saturday, September 9, from 9 AM to 1 PM.
They will gladly accept the following: holiday decorations, wrapping paper and ribbons, items that can be regifted or that are suitable to be given as Christmas gifts, jewelry, books, handcrafted items, baked goods, and dog and cat related items. (No clothing, please, except Christmas themed or cat related.) To make donations, contact Cats Unlimited at email email@example.com or voice mail (540) 458-2287.
All proceeds from the bazaar will be used to help finance Cats Unlimited's very popular low-cost spay/neuter program, as well as its rescue/adoption program.
- On Saturday, October 14, 2017, from 10 AM to 4 PM, members of Cats Unlimited will be at the 2017 Old Mountain Day Festival on Magnolia Avenue in Buena Vista, VA, to meet the public and to show off their adorable, adoptable four-legged babies. If you are looking for a furry addition to your family, or have questions concerning C.U.'s low-cost spay/neuter program, please stop by. And when you do, if you should hear a sweet little meow or feel the nudge of a nose against your hand, it's the kitty's special way of saying, "Take me home with you ... please?"
- We did it! We have broken our own record. During the calendar year 2016, Cats Unlimited financed a total of 495 spay/neuter surgeries. We are happy to announe that as of 9-11-17, with three and one-half months left to go in the year 2017, we are already at the 519 mark!. This is the result of both personal requests from citizens utilizing the services of the three local veterinarians who participate in our low-cost spay/neuter program and TNR situations for which we take advantage of transport vans to Angels of Assissi. Many thanks to everyone involved in making this program such a success!
- On Saturday, October 7, 2017, two bands sang their hearts out for Cats Unllimited. The first ever "Cats Rock Fall Music Festival" was held that afternoon at Glen Maury Park in Buena Vista, VA . The bands, "Spacecasetheband" and "Those Guys" entertained the public between the hours of 1 PM and 4 PM. Beer and wine were sold on premises, and food was provided by "TNT's Good Ta Go" and "LexMex Tacos".
Those of us in attendance had a really enjoyable time. Actually, let me just tell it like it is ... it was FUN. The weather was just perfect. The day started off as a gorgeous clear fall day ... and rain set in just five minutes prior to the end of the concert, but nothing could dampen anyone's spirits. The music was very good - a little loud, perhaps, for us ole' fogeys - but good.
We would like to sincerely thank everyone who organized, set up, participated in, or volunteered with, the event in any capacity, as all proceeds from this event will be used to help keep Cats Unlimited's low-cost spay/neuter program rolling forwards.
- We are so very thankful to the businesses that sponsored the CATS ROCK concert and would like to publicly acknowledge them: Bistro on Main, Cornerstone Bank, Devils Backbone, Fashion Floors & Cabinets, full circle catering, Lexington Pet Place, Natural Bridge Country Store, Southern Inn, and The WellPet Group. Without these fine people, this concert would not have been possible.
- Yet another little bit of good news! On Shore Foundation is an organization based in Malibu, California. They have given us grants for the past four years. We are happy to announce that On Shore Foundation obviously feels Cats Unlimited is a worthy recipient of their funding, as we have just been blessed for the fifth year in a row. An additional $1,000 to aid the kitties of Rockbridge County!
- Cats Unlimited is pleased to announce that it is the recipient of a Petco Foundation grant that will be used to expand our low-cost spay/neuter program. This is very exciting for us since the Petco Foundation provides funds nation-wide, and since 1999 they’ve invested more than $167 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, they inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives.
- But something else exciting happened last week, as well. On Tuesday,July 11, as we were getting the merchandise delivered to the pavilion from our storage location in Buena Vista, two very distinguished gentlemen approached the bay door and spoke briefly to one of our volunteers, who then called Karen and Cathy to the front. It was revealed the gentleman were officers with the Knights of Pythias. They brought with them a letter, which was read by one of the gentlemen. The letter stated that their organization, which had been in existence for over 100 years, was disbanding and, consequenttly, they were liquidating their assets. Several local non-profit organizations were to benefit from this action, and it had been decided that Cats Unlimited would share in the wealth, so to speak. The letter and accompanying check were presented to Cathy and Karen on behalf of Cats Unlimited. This was such an unexpected gift (not to mention a shock!), and such an honor to have been selected from among the many organizations throughout the county of Rockbridge and Cities of Buena Vista and Lexington. During conversation with them, we learned they had never heard of us until enlightened by one of our volunteers, and it appears they must have liked what they heard. This monetary gift was a real coup for Cats Unlimited and proof positive that our organization, and everything it stands for, is so highly regarded in our community.
Gentlemen, we wish you well. You cannot possibly imagine what this has meant to us and how much it will benefit us. Again, thank you.
- The 13th Annual Cats Unlimited "Catapalooza" Fundraising Yard Sale was held at the W & L Pavilion in Lexington on July 14 and 15, 2017. Suffice it to say, it was a huge success, and the first time we ever had to have traffic directed for one of our events! We are so fortunate to continue to have such wonderful donors. On display (and for sale) was everything from antiques to books to art; from jewelry to household items to vintage kitchen items; from yard/garden to "picker" to "guy stuff"; from lamps to linens to office to pet supplies. We virtually have a jewelry store, a boutique, a linen store; an art gallery, and an antique store all under one big metal roof. The money raised will fund our missions for the next several months.
We would like to thank everyone who helped make the sale such a success, from the volunteers to the shoppers; from those individuals who donated items to be sold to those who rang up the purchases and wrapped them; from the people who donated what was left over from their own yards to us to our workers who sorted, cleaned, priced, and packed those items.. Our sales have become extremely popular in the local area, especially since people know the sales are the primary source of funding for our low-cost spay/neuter program, as well as our rescue/adoption program. So thank you to everyone!
- Cats Unlimited and the Rockbridge Animal Alliance (RAA) are collecting cat and dog food for needy families in Rockbridge County. Our goal is to help these families keep their pets and provide them proper nutrition. The food will be distributed at the Rockbridge Food Pantry on:
To be announced.
Our e-mail address is
Our phone is 540-458-2287. Please leave a message and one of our volunteers will call
Our mailing address is P.O. Box 484, Lexington, VA 24450